Thursday, May 11, 2017

Quoran Medley


Q
What are some inspirational books, preferably auto/biographies, that I can recommend to my gifted 13 year old daughter who is currently suffering from low self esteem?
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-inspirational-books-preferably-auto-biographies-that-I-can-recommend-to-my-gifted-13-year-old-daughter-who-is-currently-suffering-from-low-self-esteem/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


C on Q
My daughter is a deep thinker and loves to read (college level reading ability.). As she is 13, I need books without mature themes.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
Writing? I've been doing that for some time.
Answered just now
Why inspirational books rather than giving her skills to learn?

At 13, it is a great age to learn a skill you want to learn.

Q
My 13 year old brother has really low self esteem and constantly calls himself negative things. How can I help him?
https://www.quora.com/My-13-year-old-brother-has-really-low-self-esteem-and-constantly-calls-himself-negative-things-How-can-I-help-him?


C on Q
He is homeschooled so its not bullying. My brother insults himself constantly, it was jokingly at first but now he does it all the time. He plays video games all day and blows up at anyone who tells him to stop. He says that he's stupid and can't do anything. He's self destructing and I am worried.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
studied at Lund University
Answered 23m ago
150 years ago, I’d have said, fix him up with a girl he falls in love with, let them marry when he’s 14.

These days that option is very out - unless you live in Muslim territory, which, if not, you want to avoid for other reasons.

Give him a challenge to learn sth?

I did lots of that when 13 (in my case it preserved me from low self esteem except as to social self esteem, in my case it was bullying, and unfortunately homeschooling didn’t last).

Or try to change marriage age limits to 14 in your state.

Q
If you could instantly learn 5 languages which would you choose and why?
https://www.quora.com/If-you-could-instantly-learn-5-languages-which-would-you-choose-and-why/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


C on Q
you can press a button and learn any 5 languages you want,which would you choose and why?

Hans-Georg Lundahl
I speak two langs, Latin and Germanic. In a few dialects.
Answered May 6
None.

Back when 10–11, when already a Christian believer and still a bit evolutionist, I read some on genetics, saw that a certain invertebrate could get acquired reflexes via injection of genes, and wondered if I could acquire languages that way.

Horrible idea, and I am frankly glad for the opportunities I have had to learn languages the slow way, it is so much more fun!

Q
How can I combine computer science and linguistics?
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-combine-computer-science-and-linguistics/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


Hans-Georg Lundahl
studied at Lund University
Answered May 6
Upvoted by Alex Pismenny
By writing essays on how and why they should not be combined.

Computers don’t understand language, that is a natural fact since they are all mechanics.

On not trusting automatic translations!
http://filolohika.blogspot.fr/2017/04/on-not-trusting-automatic-translations.html


Hans-Georg Lundahl's answer to What kind of grammar mistakes does "Grammarly (grammar checker) advanced issue" catch?
https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-grammar-mistakes-does-Grammarly-grammar-checker-advanced-issue-catch/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


Q
That last one!

C on Q
Grammarly over a free feature to check spelling mistakes, puctuations, etc.. The free feature also checks the number of (they call as) advanced issues? What are those "advanced issues?"

Hans-Georg Lundahl
I speak two langs, Latin and Germanic. In a few dialects.
Answered May 6
I don’t know what the advanced issue catches.

I might hope the advanced issue allows someone spelling British not to catch spelling mistakes which are only so per US American rules.

As to not catching faulty phrasing when the phrases are in fact correct but somewhat long (like several inserted subsid clauses separating a subject from its verb), I don’t even hold out a hope for advanced issue.

I have had unwanted exposure to a publicity stunt for the normal issue.

But computers can’t understand language.

Q
What topics should I discuss with a German guy I met online?
https://www.quora.com/What-topics-should-I-discuss-with-a-German-guy-I-met-online/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


Hans-Georg Lundahl
studied at Lund University
Answered May 6
German dialects and German food and German beer (some of it so light that it’s not like a question of getting drunk, you get beers as low as 4% which are good) are three classics.

In entertainment - depending on how boyish you want to be - there is or was a clear preference for Bud Spencer and Terence Hill (action comedy, usually without romantic interest, they are half way into bromance, when both in a film), also Karl May.

Depending on how girlish you think he could agree to be, ask about Biene Maja.

Q
What are some tips to write a summary about "Rain in Summer"by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow?
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-tips-to-write-a-summary-about-Rain-in-Summerby-Henry-Wadsworth-Longfellow/answer/Hans-Georg-Lundahl


Hans-Georg Lundahl
Writing? I've been doing that for some time.
Answered May 6
  • 1. Read it. I haven’t.
  • 2. Summarise it.

    • a) think of what parts it has;
    • b) describe each part in a summary of it, but first tell what has to be understood before understanding these part summaries.
    • I am here supposing it is narrative, for even if Longfellow was into poetry, it was usually narrative poetry. If it is just a single nature scene, try to scale down by striking the words least typical of it, the words most general (you might want an extra copy for this) until you have reduced it to 3 / 4. Then do it over again 3 / 4 * 3 / 4 = 9 / 16 (more than half, still too long for a summary). Then again 9 / 16 * 3 / 4 = 27 / 64 (less than half, it is getting better), and then again 27 / 64 * 3 / 4 = 81 / 256 (sth like it?)

No comments: